I support the work of the digitisation programme for the museum and Bristol Records Office. We have 1 stills officer and 1 moving images officer. I am thinking about what kit we need for digitising and digital storage for the next 5-10 years.
I thought i’d just ask that if anybody thinks that partnering up to share practices, resources (scanners, moving image equipment etc) and maybe LARGE data storage then please get in touch.
Questions I have been asking myself:
- Can we share costs for expensive items like scanners?
- The cost of data storage is massive, even using cloud hosting, I wonder of several similar services could share to be efficient?
- How we can best use volunteers and students to help us?
- There is some revenue in licensing BUT how can we react to the speed that production companies require?
- Is there a better way to get the job done through shared work and collaboration?
- Less resource every year… how can we be proactive in responding when less is NOT more it is less
- What innovative uses of collections are people rolling out for public free or revenue use?
- Why can I never pronounce ‘digitisation’ in public!