I have more than ten years experience in both the education and commercial sectors.
I focus on all things with technology in education, research and the heritage sectors.
I have a first-class honours degree from Coventry University in Multimedia Computing. Since my degree I have continued my professional development in areas such as project management (PRINCE2 practitioner), with experience leading and managing successful projects worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.
I also maintain my technical capability and remain up to date through membership of professional associations such as the Association for learning
Since 2003 I have successfully run my own small digital multimedia studio tribehut, helping a range of clients including: Bristol City Council, University of Leicester and a range of small businesses and charities.
Digital Manager, July 2013 – present
Bristol Museums, Galleries and Archives
I run a team supporting digital and emerging technology across all five museum sites in Bristol.
JISC Digital Media (JISC Advance), 2008 – June 2013, e-learning Officer
Institute for Learning and Research Technology, University of Bristol
Responsible for supporting JISC Digital Media to provide value for money to the Further and Higher education communities on creating, using and managing digital media for teaching and learning – our combined services saved the community nearly £41.5 million in 2008/09.
Main responsibilities include:
• Writing technical advice documents
• Delivering distance learning support in the use of digital media
• Delivering workshops in a variety of education institutions contextualized for their staff
• Speaking at conferences and seminars
University of Leicester, 2006 – 2008, Learning Technologist
A learning technologist working across all areas of the institution and part of a team supporting the University’s strategic aim in increasing the use of technology in teaching.
Working directly with teaching staff and other areas of support the team significantly
increased and enhanced the use of technology in academic practice.
Main responsibilities included:
• Designing workshops to support the role out of virtual learning environments
• Designing courses for delivery through technology
• Supporting staff in their transition from current teaching practices to a blended (face to face
and supported with technology) curricula.
Bristol City Council, 2005-2006, ICT Officer
A short term project based on the Council’s vision for a Managed Desktop.
Main responsibilities included:
• Identifying needs and problems with users
• Project management
• Troubleshoot issues as they arose, including deployment of the desktop and
Tribehut multimedia studio, 2003 – current, Owner
Initially an opportunity for me to maintain skills and exercise creative opportunities, this thriving enterprise is now at a stage where I am taking it more seriously, working with a wide range of clients seeking to promote their trades or services. Starting with small print/video projects for council run initiatives in 2003, I am now working almost exclusively with web design and web service projects (including areas around the emergence of the social and mobile web).
- Coventry University, September 2001 – June 2005, BA (Hons) Multimedia Computing with Sandwich – 1st Class Studied modules including: Business and project management, creative technology design and multimedia design.
- Carnegie Enterprise, August 2009, PRINCE2 Project Management practitioner qualification.
- Certified Membership CMALT, 2011, Association for Learning Technology
INTEREST AND HOBBIES:
Since enjoying the challenge of technical writing in my current role I now write about the use of multimedia, the impact of the web on education and business and personal topics of interest. I enjoy reading widely, world-wide travel, running and I am also a keen motorcyclist and member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM).